The Winter Maintenance Operator Certificate is for those “behind the wheel” during winter maintenance events. This workshop is designed to:
- Provide a basic understanding of winter operations
- Increase operator understanding of winter materials and how they work
- Provide an overview of winter equipment and its upkeep
- Encourage enhanced communication between fleet personnel and operators
- Discuss winter operations for operators
Resulting in more effective, efficient, equitable and environmentally-friendly snow and ice control. It is typically a four-hour workshop. There is no content testing for this program; participants will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the program as long as they have been present throughout the entire workshop. This is a fantastic training opportunity for new and experienced operators, supplemental operators from other departments, and contract operators, to ensure a strong overall understanding of winter maintenance operations.
Who should attend?
- New and experienced operators
- Supplemental operators from other departments
- Contract operators
- Operators who want a greater understanding of winter maintenance operations
How can I earn the Winter Maintenance Operator Certificate?
The APWA Winter Maintenance Operator Certificate Workshop is the source for earning this certificate. APWA and the APWA Winter Maintenance Transportation Subcommittee have made this workshop available for chapters to use as a supplement to their local annual conference or other chapter event. More information about hosting this Workshop in your area is provided below.
Hosting a Winter Maintenance Operator Certificate workshop at your chapter
How much time will it take?
The workshop is four hours in length, not including breaks or lunch, if necessary.
How much will it cost my chapter?
The cost to receive the Workshop content is $750 USD (a discount is available if the chapter holds the program in conjunction with the Winter Maintenance Supervisor Certificate Workshop). Chapters should also estimate $20 USD per attendee for printing/purchase of materials. Additional costs may be incurred for speakers, facility use, audio/visual equipment, computer(s), and/or food and beverages. The chapter may charge a registration fee to recover some of the event costs. If charging a registration fee, it is recommended that the fee be slightly higher for non-members. Chapters are encouraged to consider securing sponsorships to offset expenses. Contact our Education Team by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 800-848-2792 to receive documents providing additional details.
What about speakers for the event?
The APWA provides a list of approved speakers for this event; the chapter is responsible for selecting and scheduling speaker(s).
What are the requirements for hosting a local certificate workshop?
Requirements for chapters wishing to host a certificate workshop are as follows:
- Financial responsibility for all expenses required to conduct the workshop
- Classroom facility
- Refreshments, if appropriate
- Speaker Coordination, expenses and compensation (if required)
- Agreement to run workshop as designed
- Printing/purchase and distribution of manual, operator guide and certificates
- Administration of workshop, including grading of tests and documentation of scores and attendees
How do I get Started?
For additional information about hosting a certificate workshop at your chapter or branch, contact our Education Team by email email@example.com or by phone at 800-848-2792 to receive documents providing additional details.