About Emerging Leaders Academy
A year-long national program, the Emerging Leaders Academy provides intensive leadership and management training within the context of public works. It encourages professional growth through a strong network of peers and offers an in-depth introduction to APWA at the national, chapter and branch levels.
The candidates must be professionals who have been working in the field of public works for no more than ten years or have been working for longer than ten years but have been promoted into their first leadership role within the past three years. Candidates must have demonstrated an interest in advancing their careers within the profession.
2024-2025 Program Applications
2024-2025 Program Applications available April 2024!
July 28, 2023
Applicants notified of status in 2023-2024 class:
No later than September 22, 2023
2023-2024 class retreat in Kansas City, MO:
November 9-11, 2023 (required if accepted)
2022 Academy Graduates
Deputy Director of Public Works
City of Raytown
Roadway Program Supervisor
Maricopa County Department of Transportation
Pima County Regional Flood Control District
TREKK Design Group
Director of Public Works/City Engineer
City of Azusa
Storm Drainage Engineer
City of Mississauga
Street Preservation Project Manager
City of Olathe
City of Liberty, Missouri
Engineering Technician – Streets
City of Eagan
Capital Improvement Program Manager
City of Palmdale
Assistant Public Works Director
City of Winter Haven
Project Resource Branch Manager
Maricopa County DOT
Water Resources Engineer
City of Minnetonka
City of Santa Clarita
Engineering and Planning Manager
The Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde, Community of Oregon
How to Apply?
To be eligible for APWA’s Emerging Leaders Academy, candidates must be:
- Individuals who have been working in the field of public works or performing public works-related functions for no more than 10 years or have been working for longer than 10 years but have been promoted into their first career supervisory role within the past three years. (Note: the total number of years includes public works-related employment at both public and private agencies.)
- Interested in advancing their careers within the public works profession.
- Committed to full participation in all Emerging Leaders Academy assignments and activities, with the full support of their agency’s executive leadership.
- Participation on monthly Emerging Leaders Academy class conference calls
- Timely submission of program-related homework assignments
- Attendance at the Emerging Leaders Academy Retreat in Kansas City, MO (November 9-11, 2023)
- Attendance at the APWA PWX 2024 (location and dates TBA)
- Financial support from designated sponsor for attendance at PWX (Note: this includes PWX registration fee, round-trip travel costs, hotel accommodations and meals)
- Completion of class project
- Member of APWA (if not a current member): Selected participants will have 10 days after being notified of their selection to the program to become a member.
A completed application includes five components:
- A completed Application Form
- Current resume (no more than two pages long)
- Program Agreement Form, signed by the applicant, the applicant’s department or division head, and the applicant’s financial sponsor confirming support for attendance at PWX 2024.
- Letter of recommendation from a colleague in the public works profession (e.g., coworker, mentor, colleague from another organization, etc.)
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s immediate supervisor
Successful candidates have:
- Demonstrated a commitment to leadership in their organization and their community.
- Sought growth in responsibility in their orgnization, outside of their normal job responsibilities.
- Envisioned a more significant leadership role in their organization and their community in the future.
- Clearly articulated approach to leadership and their leadership goals.
- A willingness to contribute to the success of the Emerging Leaders Academy class.
Submitted a complete application by the advertised due date.
NOTE: For each successful applicant, APWA will pay for all travel-related and approved Emerging Leaders Academy-related expenses EXCEPT costs associated with attendance at PWX.
Emerging Leaders Academy: FAQs
A national program offered by APWA that provides intensive leadership and management training within the context of public works. It encourages professional growth through a strong network of peers and offers an in-depth introduction to APWA at the national, chapter, and branch levels.