The purpose of the Certified Stormwater Manager (CSM) credential is to promote excellence and commitment to public service by advancing the knowledge and practice of stormwater management to benefit the community, public agencies, and the profession.
The CSM is intended for experts in the public and private sectors who coordinate and implement stormwater management programs for city, county, state, provincial, and federal agencies.
These individuals are responsible for administering drainage, flood control, and/or water quality programs.
CSM Certification Spotlight On:
John Schexnayder, P.E., CFM, CSM, Senior Water Resources Engineer, Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“I encourage anyone considering the CSM program to commit to certification. It has proven to be a valuable enhancement to my career, and I have no doubts that it can do the same for any water resources professional.”
Steps to Certification
Step 1: Eligibility and Verification
Eligibility and Verification Requirements
To demonstrate eligibility, candidates must submit an application documenting the completion of one of the following education and work experience pathways:
- High school graduation or equivalent and 7 years of relevant work experience*
- Associate's degree or equivalent trade school certificate and 5 years experience*
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 years of relevant work experience*
- Master's degree and 2 years of relevant work experience*
- Doctoral degree and 1 year of relevant work experience*
*Relevant work experience is that performed within or for a public entity in one or more aspects of stormwater management as defined in the CSM target audience description and illustrated in the CSM Content Outline.
Eligibility Application Fee
Eligibility Application Form
Complete the Eligibility Application and save the PDF document. Email the completed digital version to email@example.com.
NOTE: This form utilizes a tool for electronic signatures. If you do not have a digital signature file set up or have forgotten the password for your digital signature file, you can select the "new ID" option, then click on "A new digital ID I want to create now" and on next screen select "New PKCS#12 digital ID file," then fill in the applicable fields (can skip organization unit and organization name if desired) and click "set up."
Step 2: Taking the Exam
Exams are administered computer-based directly to the candidate at their place of employment or a testing center of their choosing. The exam consists of 150 multiple-choice questions based on the CSM Content Outline. Candidates are given a maximum of 3.5 hours to complete the exam.
Preparation for the exam includes:
- CSM Content Outline
- CSM Recommended Reading List
CSM Content Outline
CSM Recommended Reading List
Select your desired exam date (must fall within one of the testing blocks listed on the 2023 Exam Schedule, complete the Exam Application and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to APWA, Attention: Certification, 1200 Main Street, Suite 1400 Kansas City, MO 64105 at least 30 days prior to your preferred exam date.
2023 Exam Dates
All exam applications must be received at least 30 days prior to the preferred testing date.
Step 3: Navigating Certification & Re-certification
Congratulations! Earning your CSM is a significant achievement.
Share Your Success
- Add your credential and the CSM logo to your name and signature on email, business cards, social media, and your LinkedIn profile
- Share your accomplishment on social media using the following hashtags:
- Send a press release
- Write an article or record a testimonial – Contact the Certification Team to learn more.
Network With Your Peers
Find Other CSMs Using Our Interactive Map
Your certification is valid for 5 years. To maintain your certification, you must complete a minimum of 100 credits earned through a combination of continuing education and contributions to the profession. Here are just a few suggestions:
- Track your progress: Recertification Tracking Sheet
- Submit your application: Recertification Application Form
- Content Areas must link back: CPFP Content Outline
- Recertification Guidelines
- Pre-approved CEU options
Recertification Application Fee