APWA Accreditation Program
The APWA Accreditation Program provides an opportunity for agencies to earn an accreditation after completion of an evaluation and review process. The evaluation and best practice review process serves to provide a means of formally verifying and recognizing public works agencies for compliance with the recommended practices set forth in the Public Works Management Practices Manual.
It is a voluntary, self-motivated approach to objectively evaluate, verify and recognize compliance with the recommended management practices.
Benefits of APWA Accreditation
- Established agency-wide culture of continuous improvement
- Improved operational performance
- Team building and staff development
- Succession planning/institutional knowledge retention
- Central location for documentation and SOPs
- Increased efficiencies/reduced duplication and wasted resources
- Improved communication
- Justification for budget requests
- Lowering of insurance premiums
- Reduced liability
Agencies pursuing an APWA Accreditation complete a five-phase process.
Accreditation Road Map
Every journey should have a map, and that includes the APWA self-assessment process. Use the Accreditation Road Map to define your agency’s goals, confirm the desired outcomes, and track the major milestones needed to reach your agency's goals. The Accreditation Road Map is available as a poster in the APWA Store.
Search the list of accredited agencies.
Public works self-assessment provides opportunities for continuous improvement for your overall operations, ultimately leading to better quality of life for your community.
Self‐assessment is an internal review of an agency’s practices combined with a comparison of the recommended practices contained in the Public Works Management Practices Manual. At the completion of the self‐assessment, the agency will have a broad knowledge of its strengths and areas where improvement is needed to bring the agency into compliance with the recommended practices.
- Agency develops an implementation plan.
- Agency purchases Public Works Management Practices Manual and Self-Assessment Software.
- Agency seeks training for the staff on the self-assessment process
- Agency assigns chapters/practices to agency staff to review and upload documentation.
- Agency staff reviews all applicable policies, procedures, and processes.
- Agency staff submits to Director and/or Accreditation Manager for approval.
Join the conversation on social media by using #PWSelfAssessment
APWA has resources to help navigate through any phase of the process. Accreditation Resources are available here.
- Application Packet for Accreditation / Re-Accreditation (11th Edition Manual)
- Application Packet for Accreditation / Re-Accreditation (10th Edition Manual)
- Mid-Term Report Form
- Agency Model Practice(s) Release Form
Accreditation Store Products
- APWA Accreditation Decal
- Public Works Management Practices Manual – Manuals can be purchased individually or in discounted bulk packages
- Public Works Self-Assessment Software
- Public Works Management Practices Manual & Software Package Bundle
- Accreditation Road Map Poster
#AccreditationNation: We’ve created this community hashtag gallery as a place for agencies and organizations across North America to share their Accreditation pride! Get your content added by using the official #AccreditationNation hashtag on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram!
#pwselfassessment: Join the self-assessment conversation on social media by using