CPFP Certification Spotlight On:
Gerald V. Byington, CPFP, City of Eden Prairie, Minnesota and member, APWA Fleet Management Committee
“Having the CPFP certification shows potential employers that you have gone through the steps and worked to become one of the best in your field.”
Steps to Certification
Step 1: Eligibility and Verification
Eligibility and Verification Requirements
To demonstrate eligibility, applying candidates must document compliance with the following requirements:
- Completion of one of the following education and work experience pathways:
- High school graduation or equivalent and seven years of relevant work experience (with a minimum of four years in public fleet).
- Trade school certificate or associate degree and five years of experience (with a minimum of three years in public fleet).
- Minimum of five years of public infrastructure inspection field experience (with a minimum of two years in public fleet).
- Agreement in writing to adhere to the APWA Standards of Professional Conduct and an affirmation of no felony history convictions related to the practice of fleet management.
- Payment of the current application fee.
Note: Relevant work experience is that performed in the role of a fleet professional, defined as one who actively supervises, manages, oversees or administers fleet services within a public or private fleet entity.
Eligibility Application Fee
Step 2: Taking the Exam
Exams are administered computer-based directly to the candidate at their place of employment or a testing center of their choosing. The exam consists of 130 multiple-choice questions based on the CPFP Content Outline. Candidates are given a maximum of 4 hours to complete the exam.
Preparation for the exam includes:
- CPFP Content Outline
- CPFP Content Outline Self-Assessment Form
- CPFP References
Select your desired exam date (must fall within one of the testing blocks listed on the 2023 Exam Schedule, complete the Exam Application and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to APWA, Attention: Certification, 1200 Main Street, Suite 1400 Kansas City, MO 64105 at least 30 days prior to your preferred exam date.
2023 Exam Dates
All exam applications must be received at least 30 days prior to the preferred testing date.
Step 3: Navigating Certification & Re-certification
Congratulations! Earning your CPFP is a significant achievement.
Share Your Success
- Add your credential and the CPFP logo to your name and signature on email, business cards, social media, and your LinkedIn profile
- Share your accomplishment on social media using the following hashtags:
- Send a press release
- Write an article or record a testimonial – Contact the Certification Team to learn more.
Network with Your Peers
Find Other CPFPs Using Our Interactive Map
Your certification is valid for 5 years. To maintain your certification, you must complete a minimum of 100 credits earned through a combination of continuing education and contributions to the profession. Here are just a few suggestions:
- Track your progress: Recertification Tracking Sheet
- Submit your application: Recertification Application Form
- Content Areas must link back: CPFP Content Outline
- Recertification Guidelines
- Pre-approved CEU options
Recertification Application Fee